Unfortunately, most individuals that are injured on the job in New York State are completely unaware that they can receive medical care (with no out of pocket expense) for any injuries that result from that accident. In addition, these injured people can miss work (if physically unable) and be paid lost wages until they are healthy enough to resume employment. The following are some crucial facts you should know if you are injured on the job.
- Workers’ Compensation is insurance that provides cash benefits and/or medical care for workers who are injured or become ill as a direct result of their job.
- Employers pay for this insurance, and shall not require the employee to contribute to the cost of compensation. Weekly cash benefits and medical care are paid by the employer’s insurance carrier, as directed by the Workers Compensation Board. The Workers Compensation Board is a state agency that processes the claims.
- In a workers’ compensation case, no one party is determined to be at fault. The amount that a claimant receives is not decreased by his/her carelessness, nor increased by an employer’s fault.
- A claim is paid if the employer or insurance carrier agrees that the injury or illness is work-related. If the employer or insurance carrier disputes the claim, no cash benefits are paid until the workers compensation law judge decides who is right. If a worker is not receiving benefits because the employer of insurance carrier is arguing that the injury is not job-related, he or she may be eligible for disability benefits in the meantime.
- If you can return to work but your injury prevents you from earning the same wages you once did, you may be entitled to a benefit that will make up two thirds of the difference. You may also return to work in light or alternate duty before you are fully healed.
- Medical care can ONLY be provided by a workers compensation certified (by the Sate of New York) physician. Remember, if you are injured on the job ALWAYS take care of your health first. Seek medical care even if you don’t think you have sustained a serious injury.
Dr. Jeff J. Mollins (and his group of referred medical specialists) have been treating and documenting injuries sustained by workers for 30 years. Dr. Mollins will provide quality health care and uncontested documentation so his injured patients can achieve wellness as expeditiously as possible and get proper monetary compensation as well. If you are injured on the job, contact Dr. Mollins immediately.